Thursday, June 3, 2010

Thicker Than Water by Twistedcoincidence


Sisters have a special bond, stronger than friendship, more sacred than a significant other. Bella has always been the perfect big sister, then again, her sister has never possessed something so appealing. AH/AU

Thicker Than Water

Katbug86:

I do not have a sister, but I can feel the special bond that occurs between Bella and Emma in this story. They sound like polar opposite, and, yet, they are impossibly close.

My life couldn't be further from the drama and glamour that surrounds Emma. As a junior editor for a fashion magazine, her life is all fashion shows and deadlines. While the most dramatic thing that happens in my job are the floral deliveries every Monday and Wednesday.


I sound put out, like I envy her, and I do, to a small extent. But, her life would swallow me whole. Emma was always more inclined to leap before looking, never worrying about what could happen in the future. While my life is an exercise in control.

This the life I chose for myself. No one asked me to go to school close to home... But when you're young and making those choices, no one ever tells you that it will shape every other piece of your life. No one tells you, that by staying close to home you're keeping strings attached that should be snipped. That the security and comfort your family bring can someday feel more like a lead anchor.

And then it's too late. Then you're 25, and while you have a small successful business and live on your own, you've never really spread your wings. Your empty jars full of 'what-ifs' and 'could-have-beens'.

But what happens when your sister falls for you dream guy? Can that bond between siblings be broken, or does is blood thicker than water?

...the name now has a face. No more fuzzy images of lips and hands, but a full photo album devoted to their courtship on my sister's Facebook page. Pictures mostly taken with his iPhone. Their faces pressed close to fit in the frame. The background and their outfits, changing with every shot. One shottaken at the concert I envied so much, and then three more taken at shows with equally enviable bands. The pairat the park for an outdoor play, at a farmers market, the movies, the list goes on.


And if the locations weren't enough to make the simmer of my jealousy rise, there was the reality of Edward. He was neither cheesy nor blonde. Two things that usually ensured my sister and I keeping our tastes apart. Instead, Edward was lanky and tall, with an unruly head of brown hair that revealed hidden reds in the light. His face usually covered by a couple of days of scruff, due to the previously mentioned hate of shaving.

Together, this package was worse than the things I had imagined. Edward wasn't Emma's type at all. So, I was left to "hmm" and "haw"through conversations with my sister. To act like helping her unfold the mystery that Edward was to her didn't tear at me piece by piece. Because he wasn't a mystery to me.

When she raged about him not wanting to go out with her usual friends, I talked her down, saying that he might prefer a more low key environment. And I was right. I was right because we were from the same puzzle, and it sucked ass.

It's beautifully written, every emotion captured to the point that you feel as if you're living it too. It's complete, and I promise you won't regret reading something so special.

Follow on Twitter: @TwistedCoin

No comments:

Post a Comment